Friday 15 July 2011

An open letter to Vesonius Primus, official of Pompeii, 79 AD

This made me chuckle, from the History of the Letter Blog:
An open letter to Vesonius Primus, official of Pompeii, 79 AD
Sir:

As one of your constituents, I must take grave issue with your characterizations of the developing “Vesuvius situation.” My family has lived in Pompeii for many years. My father was an important member of this community. I am writing both as a citizen of Rome and in my official capacity as secretary of the Pompeiian Small Business League, to warn that any rash actions with respect to the increasing earthquaking and sputtering could have dire consequences for the business community. Worryingly, the spectre of increased taxation could lead businesses to move to other towns in Italy.
Read the whole letter here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails